Goes great with Cinnamon Fluff Cake.
Mix together in saucepan…
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
Stir in gradually…
2 cups boiling water
Boil one minute, stirring constantly. Stir in…
4 Tbsp. butter
juice and grated rind of one lemon
Keep hot until time to serve
1 chopped Onion
3 Cloves minced Garlic (we use 5 or 6)
6 Medium Bell Peppers*
4 T Dill
1 1/2 tsp Season Salt
1 tsp ground Allspice
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 C cooked Rice
1 lb ground Lamb
1 C crumbled Feta Cheese
2 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finey chopped
26 oz tomato puree (I just used regular canned tomato sauce)
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 T sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 c fresh dill, chopped
2/3 c chicken broth
*Make sure peppers have even bottoms so that they stand up by themselves!
1. Make the sauce: over medium-low heat, sauté garlic in oil until soft and translucent. Add tomato sauce, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in dill and chicken broth and simmer 5 more minutes, then set aside.
2. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
3. Slice tops off peppers and remove seeds. Stand peppers upright in 9×13 baking dish.
4. In large bowl, combine onion mixture, dill, season salt, allspice and pepper. Mix in rice and lamb, fold in feta. Stuff peppers with mixture.
5. Pour sauce over peppers and bottom of dish. If any lamb mixture is leftover, stir into sauce on bottom of dish. Cover with foil.
6. Bake in 375°F (190°C) for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 15 minutes until meat thermometer inserted in center of filling reads 160°F (70°C).