We found this recipe over at recipezaar, but it didn’t appear to be complete, so we had to make parts of it up alone. Turned out great! These are nice for people with egg allergies, since there is not a single egg in these cookies. Of course, there are plenty of wheat and almonds, so watch out for those.
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
3 tablespoons orange zest, grated
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2/3 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F Beat shortening and butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
2. Add chopped almonds and orange zest, beating well.
3. Sift the dry ingredients together and then combine thoroughly with the other mixture.
4. Roll dough into 1-inch balls; place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom. Cool slightly on baking sheet; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
5. Combine confectioners’ sugar, marmalade and orange juice; stir well. Spread on cookies and garnish with sliced almonds.